Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I <3 Doing Things the Hard Way

"I used my calculator."

I would be willing to bet this is most frequently used statement in the math classes around BJHS. This little phrase has become the new magic word, bumping "Please" off of the #1 spot. (I realize the phrase is more than one word, but the fluidity with which many say "I used my calculator" makes it almost one word.) The truth of the matter is, statistically speaking, over 1/3 of the Junior High students cannot use this phrase truthfully.

The BJHS Math Dept. (otherwise known as The Department of Accuracy and Justice) has collected data about calculator ownership from all of the homerooms throughout the school. The results: at least 470 students out of 1300 (rounded to the nearest 100) don't own a calculator.

470
---- = .3615 = 36% cannot use the statement "I used MY calculator." accurately.
1300

The strange thing is that many students would have difficulty in calculating the decimal and percent above without a calculator.

What is also puzzling about this situation is how many of the BJHS students own cell phones or iPod/ mp3 players compared to those who own a calculator. It's perplexing because nobody uses "I used my cell phone." or "I used my iPod." to describe how they solved a math problem. It's really weird that people wouldn't own a calculator as they probably have math homework around 4 out of 5 days (80%) of the week.

All of these observations don't even account for the fact that a scientific calculator with a fraction (A b/c) button only costs $10-$15 and is so much more useful throughout the school day than either a cell phone or mp3 player. Owning and using your OWN calculator may even make math a bit easier for you- that is unless you have mathematical superpowers which allow you to calculate at the speed of light (approximately 186,000 miles per second).

So let's summarize: Cost < a monthly cell phone bill. Usefulness > an iPod. It sounds like calculator ownership is something everyone should experience.

So the message is: If you really love doing math for fun DON'T own a calculator. It will take you a lot longer to do your math work so you'll feel a sense of accomplishment knowing you did ALL the work and didn't take the easy way out.